Friday, February 2, 2018

Annual Doctor Visit and a Refresh

I just updated my data page to reflect my January loss. What a good feeling!

Looking at the whole page with its now years worth of monthly tracking, I decided that it would be just lovely if I could make it through 2018 with losses every single month, even if it was just by a pound or two. I would really like to see a year that has no red in it. 2018 could be that year.

The thing to do is: Take things one step at a time, as I should always try to do. One month at a time, one week at a time, one day at a time, one hour at a time!

I'm writing this in the morning and I unfortunately I am not well-prepared for eating today. That is, I brought nothing with me (I woke up late!) and I don't really have an idea of what to do about it. Well, first thing: I'd like to re-commit to the low-carb approach after having read dear reader (and blogger extraordinaire!) Wendy's response to my last post. I have to throw a big shout out to her for that. Thank you, Wendy, for jolting me back to reality! So there is that. I'll drink water all morning and then, for lunch I'll likely go what seems like one of the best take-out options I have: a salad with proteins. Maybe Panera's Green Goddess, for instance? I'll think on it some more.

I just really do want to stick with this. I want to enjoy not feeling hungry and not feeling crappy like when I am eating lots of carbs. Am I still going to make those cookies I mentioned last post, though? Honestly? Probably, but maybe not for a while. The hazelnut flour and four types of chocolate I bought to make them will keep. I keep telling myself how much I want to get below 300 pounds again, but you know – if I keep making exceptions every time I have second thoughts or doubts, then I will certainly never get there.

Another problem I've been having is trying to sort out the depression and anxiety and stress I've been dealing with for the better part of the past year, which definitely doesn't help. The regular meditation practice I have established does, though, and so does a simple thing like taking regular walks (which I haven't been doing, by the way). I had my annual physical with my GP yesterday and it went well; we talked a lot about this stuff in particular and he's done a couple additional things: He's referred me to a psychiatrist now as opposed to only a talk therapist so I can get my medication sorted out, and he mentioned that maybe for now, I ought to focus on getting that house in order and let the weight stuff follow in kind rather than worrying too much about it right now. I appreciated that, but I also think that if I let it completely go, it will cause way more harm than good, and I think armed with low-carb eating, I will be fine and it will go back to being fairly easy.

Before my appointment yesterday morning, I finally got myself over to the imaging place right near the doctor's office to get the X-ray on my shoulder done to check for anything that looks more serious than tendonitis. I don't know the results yet on that, but should any day and I'm looking forward to getting that sorted out before the beginning of tennis season. The idea of not being able to play anymore is, quite frankly, devastating. So.

By the way, I want to shout out to my doctor about how incredibly awesome he is – for SO many reasons, but this takes the cake. His office badge, the ID he wears on his lab coat? It had his photo on it, but the name read: Mick Jagger.

OMG. I am so lucky.

8 comments:

  1. How much do I love your doctor? I can't tell you how many doctors I've been to who are uncomfortable with the issue of weight. I recall when I got home from living overseas and gained weight. I asked my doctor what could possibly be wrong, given all the exercise I was doing. She suggested I cut out the 1/2 avocado I was eating at lunch. Hahahah. Bless her heart. Bless....her.....heart. I have had great success with low-carb as long as I don't go too far. I tried keto twice and was left with migraines and insomnia. Upon further research, many women have these reactions. Now, if I'm trying to keep it light, I don't eat carbs after lunch. I find I sleep better this way as well. I know I'm rambling here. I just love the way you write, with so much honestly and vulnerability. I can't wait wait to read more. Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy! Mutual fan club, totally. I really enjoy your blog and so glad I found it, so it is extra nice to know that you're enjoying mine as well. Good doctors are such a treasure and I really lucked out with my GP and my GYN, too. No carbs after lunch sounds about what I try to do in general. I prefer to eat more during the day than at dinner, but it just depends on how the day sorts out, usually. :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy - I'm so glad you appreciated my comment, I worried afterwards that it came across as harsh. Yay! I certainly mean to be supportive, and never harsh. But sometimes tone gets lost in electronic communication. Glad it sounds like that was not the case.

    I love your doc too! I also love his advice about not taking on too much at once - and also your reaction about, erm, yeah, I know where that ship leads for me personally. I think a very general low-carb plan without worrying too much about the details may keep you where you want to be, which sounds like at least a gentle downward slope - and one that will help cut hunger and cravings. I hope this concept works for you!

    Regarding what other-Amy :) says above about time of day carbs- yes, worth trying! I've also heard other people flip it the other way, and that carbs at night can help you sleep - or maybe this advice only really applies to people with frequent trouble sleeping, like me. Come to think of it, more people recommend them in the AM than the PM. Anyway the approach gives a nice guideline, that's not about obsessing over micro-particles, which is much more human-friendly to my mind.

    Onward!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always value what you have to say, Wendy! I appreciate when someone can say what they really think, especially when they feel like they can do that with me. :)

      Yep, there is no way that I can't stop watching the scale. I know for a fact that I would be back to where I started, and probably worse. This is just a lifetime endeavor for me, and that is OK. It's not that I can't ever have fun or enjoy life – in fact, it will help me have MORE fun and more enjoyment!

      I'll be writing a bit about it in my next post, but I think I am headed toward the Mediterranean way of eating. More on that soon!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete